10 June 2016

Friday Favorites - Fitness Edition

Friends, pat yourselves on the back because we made it through another week!  The warm weather has officially descended on Texas.  I don't know that it makes me want to work out, but I do know that I would like to feel good in my swimsuit #dontweall.

When Nordstrom reached out to me and asked if I'd like to look at some fitness gear, I jumped on the chance #yogapantsforeveryone

Now, a brief history about me - I was a dancer and I went to class regularly, but I was always a little overweight and at the time no one pushed me to eat less and move more.  I would say I was maybe a size 14 when I was a senior in high school, maybe a 12.  I don't remember.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great.  I was up and down with my weight all through college and into my 20s and 30s.  Battling your weight is hard all.  Three years ago I had weight loss surgery and I've lost 100 pounds.  You can read all about that over here on my other blog (I don't update it anymore, but if you're interested in my weight loss experience it's all out there and I am always open to talking about it or answering questions).

Anyhow...I am now probably in the best shape of my life.  I run 5ks, I work out 5-6 times a week and I have maintained my weight for over a year.  I have never been able to say that in my entire life up until now.  That means along with my eating and nutrition, fitness is very important to me.  And loving clothes like I do, fitness gear is VERY important #priorities.

1.  Workouts

As a runner, a lot of these options are based on my preferred workout - either running around the lake or hitting the treadmill during these crazy Texas summers.  I got started by using a couch to 5k app on my phone.  You can also find them on the internet.  This is a good one.

My other preferred workout is 21 Day Fix by Beachbody.  I LOVE these workouts.  My arms and shoulders have never looked so good.  If you are interested in the 21DF, let me know and I can hook you up with an amazing coach #heymaria.

 2.  Good Pants

 top | pants
I am incredibly picky about my running pants and Nike has some great options.  I find that Nike runs true to size.  These grey printed ones are an XL (no Larges in stock at the store) and they were a little loose.  I know they don't look it in the picture but as a runner I know that if I started jogging around Nordstrom in them they would have started to fall down. #noonewantstoseethat

The top is a Nike Dri-Fit top and I love these.  Isn't that purple color gorgeous?  The top is a Large as well. It fit me perfectly but if you prefer a looser fit I suggest sizing up.  Dri-fit is a great way to go because it wicks moisture away from the skin.  My other requirement for great pants?  The have to have a zipper pocket somewhere for my keys and these met that requirement.  

 2.  Colorful Tops
 
 
Nike also had some great colorful tops available.  The purple one above also comes in a gorgeous crimson color.  The logo tanks come in this pretty orange as well as lime green, blue, and purple.  I like to wear at least one article of brightly colored clothing when I go running outside so I am visible to others, especially if I know my run is going to take me on the road at some point.  #safetyfirst

 3.  Jackets



I already have a couple of jackets and here in Texas, you don't really need more than that.  With that said, if you are in the market for a new jacket let me suggest you check out this one.  It's light and would be a great option to throw over your gear if you are walking on a chilly morning or want something to throw over your tank and pants to run an errand or to the gym.  Again, like the other Nike options I am wearing a Large.  It definitely runs slightly larger, so if you want a more snug fit in your jacket then I suggest trying one size down.

4.  Lounge Wear

 
Please pardon the messy hair - this was pre hair appointment and I forgot an elastic to pull it back #curlyhairproblems.  So, while I love a great pair of running pants, sometimes you just need something comfy and cozy to stretch in or run errands or do housework and these jogging capris are perfect for that.  The heather grey is a nice neutral you could pair with any of the tops I highlighted above.  The material was so soft.  I wish you could feel it over the internet.  I like a looser fit in my lounge pants so I sized up to an XL in these.

5.  Shoes 

If you are serious about starting running, I suggest heading to a running store like Run On to be fitted for running shoes.  You will thank me for it.  I went for the first time three years ago and it was the best decision ever.  I have not had one running related injury since doing so.  No knee pain, no shin splints, nothing.  If you are local to my area, there is a Run On in Southlake, next door to a Torchy's Tacos...

 6.  Additional Nike Options



That's all for this week's edition of Friday Favorite's!  What are you all favoring this week?

xoxoxo,


 

No comments :

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016