12 January 2018

Friday Favorites - Skincare After 40

Hello friends!  Happy Friday!  This week I have the skincare post I promised you.  As many of you know, I turned 40 last year.  And am halfway to 41!  Eek!   With that, my skin has started the usual aging process that happens to all of us.  


I've always been diligent about skincare - washing my face every night, using moisturizer, etc.  I read in a teen magazine once when I was younger that you should never go to bed wearing makeup and that has stuck with me all these years.  No matter how tired I feel, I may not use all my products, but I will at a bare minimum wash my face.

I've added more steps to my process in the last year or so - toners, eye creams, etc.  Here are the products I have been using to keep my skin looking as young as possible.

I'll start by saying I have normal skin that can be slightly sensitive at times.  I have a little redness across my chin, cheeks, and nose.  I rarely have a pimple or a breakout.  Rarely oily, it's pretty normal but can get dry in the winter.  My main concerns are larger pores, some dullness, and fine lines and wrinkles.

My nightly routine:


The first thing I do is remove my makeup with micellar water.  I squirt some on a cotton pad and swipe over my face, with particular care around my eyes as that is where I have the heaviest makeup.


After the micellar water, I use Cetaphil to wash my face.  I find it to be gentle and non-irritating.  I've used this for a couple of years and am very happy with it.  A close second is this Ole Henriksen cleanser, which has the BEST tangerine scent.


I follow the Cetaphil with toner.  My current favorite is the Thayer's Witch Hazel.  I put some on a cotton pad and swipe all over my face.  It's alcohol free, so it's not drying.  I find this helps my pores.


These pads exfoliate and help clear pores.  They also help smooth the texture of your skin.  


This helps even out skin tone and I find the Vitamin C helps to brighten my skin as well.  


I don't use this every day - it's mainly for oily skin, but it also helps pores which is where I have issues.  


The retinoid helps dull and uneven skin and helps to fight the signs of aging.  Also, it's a retinoid, not retinol which can be irritating to skin.


This product helps fine lines and wrinkles as well as undereye circles and puffiness.  The Hyaluronic Acid also helps to hydrate your skin.


I definitely use a more intense/heavier moisturizer at night.  This firming moisturizer works as a serum, moisturizer, eye cream, neck cream, and sleeping mask all in one.


On a night when I use a lighter moisturizer, I'll finish with this overnight mask.  My skin looks so fresh and radiant when I wake up in the morning.  It's oil free, so I don't wake up feeling like my skin is all oily.  Just fresh and radiant.


Then I finish with this!  I wear red lipstick a lot, so it's important for my lips to not be chapped or flaky.  This smoothing balm is the best!

And that's what I do at night.  In the morning, I have a quick little routine.


In the shower, I wash my face with this.  It's foamy and has a nice fresh scent, I feel awake when I use it.


Twice a week I'll exfoliate.  My current fave is Dr. Brandt, but I also like the St. Ives Green Tea.  

I'll follow this after the shower with Thayer's Toner and then my normal moisturizer.

And then...

Egg Cream Mask

Once a week I try to do a mask.  I rotate through Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask, the Egg Cream Mask, Pajama Paste, or a Charcoal Mask.  

And that is how I take care of my skin.  I'd be lying if I said I did every step, every night.  But I try to do most of it every night.  And overall, I'm happy with my skin.  I have a few more furrows than I'd like, but I take that as a sign of a life well lived.

Have a great weekend, y'all!

2 comments :

The Menius family said...

Picked up the Soap & Glory today. I was looking for something new to try for my 40+ skin.

Nichole Fisher said...

The Soap & Glory is one of my faves!

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016